Shredded Mustard Chicken Salad
The health benefits of mustard
The Greeks and Romans used mustard seeds for medicinal purposes. The mustard plant, like broccoli, radish and cabbage, belongs to the brassica family, a group of vegetables. Enzymes in the seeds then break down giving mustard its eye-watering effect. Many studies now suggest that they also seem to inhibit the growth of cancer cells, especially in the gastrointestinal tract. Mustard seeds are an excellent source of selenium, an element that is also thought to have an anti-cancer effect
Time taken : 30 minutes
- 4 x 150 gms chicken breast fillets, fat trimmed
- 100 gms rocket leaves
- 250 gms cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Place a steamer basket over a large saucepan filled with water. Simmer Gently
- Cut 4 x long pieces of foil and lightly spray with oil
- Place eat piece of chicken in the middle of each sheet
- Mix juice, mustard, honey and garlic in a small bowl and drizzle ¼ of the mixture over each piece of chicken.
- Fold foil to enclose chicken in a parcel.
- Place parcels in steamer basket, covered over simmering water for 15mins.
- Remove and coarsely shred chicken.
- Put chicken, rocket, tomatoes, celery and avocado in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil and remaining juice and mustard in a small bowl. Drizzle over salad and toss
- Serve and season with pepper or store for a packed lunch