Home-made Hummus on Rye
Chickpeas is a wonderful superfood that makes this spread not only delicious but full of vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants to start your day.
Time taken: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 and 1/2 cups or 5 servings
Cook extra for tomorrow’s lunches
- 1 can chickpeas
- 60 mls lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini (optional – but tastes better with it)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 pieces of dark rye bread
- If using tahini, combine with lemon juice in small food processor for 30 seconds. Stop, scrape the sides and process for another 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, olive oil and salt and process for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 can of chickpeas and process 1 minute. Scrape the sides and then add other 1/2 can of chickpeas and process another 1-2 minutes. To get a thick and creamy consistency, add 2-3 tbsp of water until smooth.
- Spread on 2 pieces of dark rye toast.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.