Gourmet Beef Burgers on Wholemeal Pita Bread
Who doesn’t love a beef burger. You make a healthy superfoods option by using purple lettuce or cabbage, wholemeal breadcrumps and pita bread and Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. Try it. You won’t be able to tell the difference.
Time Taken: 30 minutes
Cook extra patties to eat for breakfast or lunch the next day
- 2 medium brown onions
- 750 gms lean beef mince
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 heads of cos lettuce (use pruple lettuce or cabbage to make it a superfoods meal)
- 2 packets wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 4 wholemeal pita breads
- 1/2 cup natural Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- olive oil to cook
- Finely slice the onions. Slice the tomatoes and roughly chop the Cos lettuce.
- In a bowl, combine beef mince, wholemeal breadcrumbs, eggs and pinch of salt.
- Shape into 4 patties
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan. Cook each patty for 6-7 minutes on each side
- In another frying pan, add a small amount of olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt. Crush the garlic into the yogurt and mix well. Add a tsp of salt.
- Assemble the burgers by placing the meat patties into the pita bread. Top with the onions and a dollop of the yogurt sauce. Add the tomato slices and lettuce.