Chicken and Capsicum Casserole
Brown rice is low GI and should replace all white rice in our diet. It is high in fibre and also helps releives constipation. It also has benefits to fasting sugar levels.
Time Taken: 30 mins
- 4 skinless chicken pieces on the bone, e.g. 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks 1
- tbsp cornflour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red chilli (optional)
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 1cm strips
- ¼ cup dry white wine or water
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 medium sized carrots, chopped into 1 cm slices
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- If you do not have any cooked brown rice, cook 1 cup now.
- Dust the chicken pieces with cornflour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan. Brown the chicken on both sides for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in capsicum, carrots and chilli (optional)
- Add the wine and bring to the boil
- Add chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat with lid on or cover with foil.
- Stir in parsley and garlic
- Serve immediately, with ½ cup brown rice.