Spiced Beef Salad
We really need to be eating more salads for lunch. They don’t need to be boring. By adding spices and flavours in the meat and the dressings, they can be absolutely delicious and give your lunch a zing. Include some colour for anti-oxidants and anti-flammatory properties with baby spinach, tomatoes and of course the magical turmeric.
Time taken: 20 mins
- 200gms beef rump steak (if you cannot cook at lunchtime, the beef can be substituted with some cold sliced beef from the deli meat section of your supermarket)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (optional but good for anti-inflammatory properties)
- 150 gms mixed leaf salad including baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 a can drained cannellini beans or white beans (optional to add some bulk if required)
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved, or 2-3 whole tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- coriander sprigs to garnish (optional)
- Combine cumin, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of steak and rub in.
- Preheat chargrill on high and cook steaks for 3-6 minutes on each side to your liking.
- Transfer to plate. Cover loosely with foil and set aside for 3 minutes to rest. If you have chosen to see cold deli meats, you could sprinkle a small amount of the spice mix in the salad.
- In a bowl mix the drained canned beans, salad leaves and cherry tomatoes together. Add lemon juice and olive oil to salad and toss.
- Top with the beef steak or cold deli meats, sliced into pieces.
- Sprinkle coriander to garnish if desired